Thursday 18 December 2008

Letter to a Friend

In recent weeks in our house group we have made a change from our usual Bible study sessions and we have been following the Essence course, which uses non-verbal ways of exploring spirituality. Last night we were looking at our individual relationship with God and sharing our spiritual experiences.

In the course of the evening, we were each given a copy of 'A Letter to a Friend' and asked to write a reply to it. It made a deep impression on each and every one of us.

Letter to a Friend

Yesterday, I saw you walking and laughing with your friends; I hoped that soon you would want Me to walk along with you too.

So I painted you a sunset to close your day and whispered a cool breeze to refresh you. I waited - you never called - I just kept on loving you.

As I watched you fall asleep last night, I wanted so much to touch you,

I spilled moonlight onto your face - trickling down your cheeks as so many tears have. You didn't even think of Me;

I wanted so much to comfort you.

The next day I exploded a brilliant sunrise into glorious morning for you.

But you woke up late and rushed off to work - you didn't even notice.

My sky became cloudy and My tears were in the rain. I love you.

Oh, if only you would listen. I really love you.

I try to say it in the quiet of the green meadow and in the blue sky.

The wind whispers My love throughout the treetops and spills it into the vibrant colours of all the flowers.

I shout it to you in the thunder of the great waterfalls and compose love songs for birds to sing to you.

I warm you with the clothing of My warm sunshine and perfume the air with nature's sweet scent.

My love for you is deeper than any ocean and greater than any need in your heart. If only you'd realise how I care.

My Dad sends His love. I want you to meet Him - He cares, too.

Fathers are just that way. So, please call Me soon.

No matter how long it takes. I'll wait - because I love you.

Your friend, Jesus.


If you are looking for a new course - a fresh expression, perhaps - I can heartily recommend the Essence course, which can be adapted for any age group. I need to warn you, though, that the leader will need to spend quite some time in preparation each week! It is certainly proving to be a very spiritual course for us.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is a beautiful expression of love and relationship! Thank you!

Molly said...

That's really lovely. I'm writing this on 28th December so hope you had a happy peaceful Christmas with your family in Derbyshire. Thank you for all your blogs and wish you the best of everything for 2009