Friday 6 February 2009

Our Psalmody

Since my friend's Psalm of Snow that I posted on Wednesday delighted readers, I thought you might like to share a couple of the Psalms of Praise that were written by members of our Disciple 4 Group as homework for our last session on the psalms. We were told to use Psalm 103 as a model to tell of God's blessings and victories in our lives. Normally, we would share these at our next meeting but, it was cancelled because of the snow and these psalms were emailed to all our members.

PSALM OF PRAISE

Praise God!
Praise you O Lord my God for calling me to belong to your family.
Thank you for enabling me to fulfil the work you have given me to do.

Not a Service goes by without You giving me Your words to say.
You supply my thoughts and words so that I can Praise You,
and lead Your people in Worship.

I can trust you Father God, to help me when I call, and to quieten my fears.
You still the fear within me.
You stop my stomach churning and my mind doubting.
You bring to my mind your words of encouragement and Praise.

I love Your word!
May I always depend on it and on Your Holy Spirit's power.
Praise the Lord!

(Inspired by a service I led yesterday)

This gave us a taste of what it must be like to study in the new Disciple Online communities.

MY PSALM OF PRAISE

Praise the Lord, O my soul, for He has done marvellous things. I will praise the Lord as long as I live for the way He has loved me, guided me, chided me, picked me up when I was down, set me on my feet again and strengthened me over and over again.

He forgives my faults and my backslidings; he heals me over and over again in body, mind and spirit; he rescues me from those who would do me harm and surrounds me with His love and the love of so many friends;

He fills my life with an abundance of good things; and assures me that He will take care of me for the rest of my life. He never leaves me, not even when I sometimes forget to come to Him in prayer and praise.

I will praise the Lord for His wonderful creation, giving us fruit and food in all seasons and animals to care for and cherish. The beauty of His creation is beyond our words of praise as we are inspired and enheartened by the splendours of the flowers and trees, the clouds and the seas – too many to enumerate. Praise the Lord for all the marvels of His creation.

Praise the Lord for His endless, limitless love. He cares for each one of us like a father, with great tenderness and sympathy, and he even goes before us to prepare the way for us and ease out the difficulties. His watchful eye and loving arms are there to protect us when we fall, and in great gentleness He remakes us so that we have the power and strength to carry on; he suffers when we suffer; he weeps when we weep, and he laughs when we laugh. Praise the Lord for his wonderful love and care.

Come praise the Lord with me, all of you who rely on His loving care and bounteous provision!

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Powerful!

Olive Morgan said...

Yes, and it was such a pity that we weren't able to share them all last Monday. Some people are shy of having their efforts printed online for all to see - but it is this aharing together that makes the Disciple courses so inspiring.